1764-1797 Beginnings of the Mint
7th September, 1764
The Royal Elections chooses Stanisław August Poniatowski for the king, obligating him to carry out a monetary reform and to establish a new mint.
The King appoints the Mint’s Committee and acquires a property at ul. Bielańska in Warsaw
intended for the construction of the mint.
21st January, 1766
An outstanding artist, Jan Filip Holzhaeusser, is brought from Dresden and, until 1792 he will have served as the court medallist of King Stanisław August Poniatowski and the leading medallist of the Warsaw Mint.
A monetary reform comes into effect along which a new monetary system in Poland is created. In 1966, i.e. the 200th anniversary of the event, this date is set to be the official date of the foundation of the Warsaw Mint. Currently, in Poland, 10th February is celebrated as the Mint Master’s Day.
The introduction of M.V. (Monetaria Varsoviensis) and M. W. on ducats minted at the Warsaw Mint. These letters give rise to the today's mint mark - m/w.
On the initiative of King Stanislaw August Poniatowski, the Warsaw Mint mints a new decoration - the War Order of Virtuti Militari. The Polish highest military decoration was established after the beginning of the Polish-Russian war in defence of the Constitution of May 3.
During the Kosciuszko Insurrection, the Treasury Commission takes control over the Warsaw Mint.
9th January, 1796
As a result of the Third Partition of Poland, shortly after the arrival of Prussian troops into the capital, the Warsaw Mint is closed down for 14 consecutive years and taken over by the Treasury of Prussia.
1810-1868 Tsarist period
9th June, 1810
The Warsaw Mint resumes its activity and mints coins for the Duchy of Warsaw (under the rule of Frederick Augustus - King of Saxony, holding formal authority over the Duchy of Warsaw).
1st January, 1816
Following the decision of the Congress of Vienna (1815), the Warsaw Mint starts to mint coins under the stamp of the Kingdom of Poland for the territories controlled by Russia.
At the request of the Minister of Internal Affairs and the Police, the Mint receives a monopoly on the production of official stamps and seals.
During the November Uprising, the Warsaw Mint, apart from minting insurgent coins, also becomes an armaments factory for the Polish insurgents.
15th October, 1832
After the fall of the November Uprising and subordination of the Warsaw Mint to the Ministry of Revenues and Treasury (formerly, the Mint was controlled by the Bank of Poland), by the tsar's ukase, the first bilingual Russian-Polish coin is introduced with a double face value of 15 kopecks/1 zloty.
The beginning of a slow liquidation process of the Warsaw Mint – minting of the first Russian coin with a face value of 1 rouble by the tsarist ukase of 1841, introducing the Russian currency, in the place of the Polish currency, in the Kingdom of Poland.
1st January, 1868
The Warsaw Mint is closed down by tsarist authorities. The production equipment is transferred from Warsaw to the mint in St. Petersburg.
1924-1939 The Second Polish Republic
14th April, 1924
The coinage production in Warsaw is reactivated. The official opening of the building of the Polish State Mint at ul. Markowska by President Stanisław Wojciechowski and Minister of Treasury Wladyslaw Grabski takes place.
The Minister of Treasury issues a regulation on coin designs which is the first such regulation after Poland regained its independence.
The Numismatic Cabinet of the Polish State Mint is established. Karol Plage, a numismatist and a coin collector from Warsaw, becomes the first curator.
13th December, 1927
Under the regulation of the President of the Republic of Poland, the Mint receives a monopoly on the production of the seal with an image of the state eagle.
8th October, 1937
The Polish State Mint is a founding member of an international organization called FIDEM (Federation Internationale de la Medaille).
1940-1945 German occupation
The occupation of the buildings of the Polish State Mint by German authorities, destruction of the workshop building, confiscation of precious metals and the transfer of the numismatic collection from the Numismatic Cabinet by the authorities of the Third Reich (10% of the collection hidden by curator W. Terlecki remains in Poland).
Striking zinc coins for the occupied Polish territory, blowing up the buildings of the Mint in 1944 by the Germans during the retreat from the city.
The resumption of the Polish State Mint’s operation in restored buildings at Markowska St.
1945-1972 Rebuilding the Mint
Relocating the Polish State Mint to its new headquarters at ul. Ceglana in the district of Wola (today’s ul. Pereca).
The Mint strikes the first post-war coins with a face value of 1 and 2 groszys with its year of issue of 1949 and the name of the Republic of Poland. The Mint begins to offer precious metals processing for industrial purposes.
The Mint begins to mint coins depicting the constitutional name of the country – the Polish People's Republic.
The Mint restores its mint mark m/w placed on the obverse of coins. The mint mark is located under the eagle's left foot, a place determined for the state emblem.
The Committee of the Ministry of Finance decides on the modernization of the Polish State Mint, the consequence of which is the purchase of modern presses in 1971.
Minting of the first post-war commemorative coin called "Mieszko and Dąbrówka", commemorating the 1000th anniversary of the Polish State.
Starting to mint proof coins. The first Polish proof collector coin is "Fryderyk Chopin" with a face value of 50 zlotys.
1990-2014 Dynamic development
According to the Act of 29th December, 1989, coins again bear the name of the country, i.e. the Republic of Poland, and the national emblem - an eagle with a crown.
Laying the foundation stone (1991) of the newly built building of the Mint at ul. Żelazna.
A veil of secrecy thrown over the production of new Polish circulation coins which are the official legal tender in the territory of the Republic of Poland until the present day.
The 225th anniversary of the foundation of the Mint celebrated with a commemorative coin - the first Polish bi-metallic coin.
15th February, 1992
Opening of the Polish State Mint flagship store.
1st April, 1994
Transforming the Polish State Mint in a joint stock company wholly owned by the State Treasury under the name "Mennica Państwowa S.A."
The official opening of the building of the Polish State Mint at ul. Żelazna 56 by President Lech Wałęsa.
Minting of the first Polish gold bullion coins called "Orzeł Bielik" (based on standard Troy ounces).
1996, 27th-30th May
The 19th Mint Directors Conference in Warsaw.
The production of silver blanks for the Lithuanian mint in Vilnius.
Striking of a new silver coin for Ukraine.
6th February, 1998
The Securities and Stock Exchange Commission consents to introduce securities of the Polish State Mint to public trading.
The first listing of the shares of Mennica Państwowa S.A. is offered in the public offering and in a normal trading session.
The "Fryderyk Chopin" coin designed by Robert Kotowicz wins the first prize for Mennica Państwowa S.A. in the "Most Perfect Work" category in the prestigious "International Coin Design Competition", held by the Office of Coin Issue of the Ministry of Japan.
The Mint participates in the Mint Directors Conference in Canberra, Australia, where it wins two prestigious awards in the "Most Technologically Advanced Gold Collector Coin" category ("The Year 2000" with its face value of 200 zlotys) and in the "Most Technologically Advanced Circulation Coin" category ("The Year 2000" with its face value of 2 zlotys).
The production of multimaterial coins (a new type of collector coins in which for the first time combined silver with non-metals) starts.
For the first time, the Polish State Mint is a co-organizer of the Numismatic Exhibition called the Numismatic Exchange "Monetarium" which since then has been held twice a year.
To commemorate 10 years of honourable collaboration with the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity, Mennica Państwowa S.A. makes a 22kg bar, symbolizing the amount of gold melted to make the GOCC hearts.
During the Mint Directors Conference in Osaka, Mennica Państwowa S.A. wins the first prize in the "Most Technologically Advanced Gold Collector Coin" category for the coin "The Year 2001" made from three different alloys of gold, with its face value of 200 zlotys.
24th June, 2003
Tadeusz Steckiewicz is appointed as President of the Management Board of Mennica Państwowa S.A.
21st-23rd March, 2004
The Polish coin "10 Years of the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity", with its face value of 2 zlotys, minted at Mennica Państwowa S.A., receives the main prize for the most technologically advanced circulation coin in the world between 2002-2003.
President Aleksander Kwaśniewski and President of Narodowy Bank Polski, Leszek Balcerowicz, officially launch the production of collector coins dedicated to the accession of Poland to the European Union taking place on 1st May, 2004.
18th May, 2005
The name of Mennica Państwowa S.A. is changed to Mennica Polska S.A.
Mennica Polska S.A. is honoured with "Teraz Polska" (literally: “Poland Now”) Emblem.
For the first time, Mennica Polska S.A. organizes the International Collector Coins Fair "Coin Expo".
The Polish Business Club Association awards Mennica Polska S.A. the prize for the "Company of the Year".
Made by Mennica Polska S.A. 2 zloty-coin, struck to commemorate the World’s Fair Expo 2005 in Japan, is considered to be the most beautiful circulation coin in the world. The prize was awarded at the Mint Directors Conference 2006 in Paris.
Mennica Polska S.A. wins the "EU Standard" title for high quality products, investments and company culture.
The "150th Anniversary of the Birth of Teodor J. K. Korzeniowski" coin with its face value of 10 zlotys takes the second place in the "Original technology" category at the International Commemorative Coin Contest "Coin Constellation".
The Mint of Poland is awarded the title of the "Quality of the Year" in the "Product" category for the "Local Ducat".
The Mint of Poland gets recognition and is one of the "gold ten" best perceived Polish brands in the "Top Brand 2009" category in a nationwide consumer programme called “Laur Konsumenta” (literally: "Consumer Laurels").
The first edition of a charity campaign organized by UNICEF and the Mint of Poland called "Reszta w Twoich Rękach” (literally:”Change in Your Hands". During a six-month-campaign, we collected more than 400,000 zlotys for needy children in Africa.
The Polish Business Club Association awards the prestigious title of the "Company of the Past 20 Years" to the Mint of Poland.”
The "70th Anniversary of the Polish Underground State" silver coin with its face value of 10 zlotys is recognized as the most inspirational coin in the world in the prestigious "Coin of the Year Award" competition.
The 245th anniversary of the Warsaw Mint is commemorated with a commemorative publication entitled "The Catalogue of Numismatics and Foreign Coins of the Mint of Poland 2005-2010".
Wawel, Kraków - the opening of the first flagship store of the Mint of Poland outside Warsaw.
Representatives of mints from around the world, who are the members of the Mint Directors Conference, visit the Mint of Poland.
The Mint of Poland receives the "TRANSEXPO 2011" Fair Medal for the online ticket sales system implemented in Warsaw, Wroclaw and Bydgoszcz.
The inauguration of “The Treasure from Kiev. The Golden Gallery of Polish Kings from the Medal Collection of Stanislaw August Poniatowski" exhibition takes place in Łazienki Park in Warsaw. The unique gold medals with portraits of Polish rulers, which are minted in single pieces on the initiative of King Stanisław August Poniatowski, are presented.
Narodowy Bank Polski commissions the Mint of Poland to manufacture collector coins to commemorate the finals of the UEFA Euro 2012 Championships in Poland and Ukraine.
The silver coin "Europe without Barriers - 100th Anniversary of the Society for the Care of the Blind" takes the second place in the "Coin Constellation" 2012 contest in the "Unique Idea Concept" category.
The Supervisory Board appoints Grzegorz Zambrzycki as President and Chief Executive Officer of the Mint of Poland.
The Mint of Poland launches a network of stores called "Druga strona medalu” (literally: “The other side of the medal") in shopping centres in cities in Poland. The first store is opened in Arkadia, a shopping centre in Warsaw. The next store is to be opened in Stary Browar in Poznań.
The Mint of Poland is awarded in the competition for the most dynamic public companies. The prizes were awarded by the 7th Nationwide Forum of the Management Boards of the Stock-listed Companies in collaboration with "Forbes", a monthly magazine.
The Mint of Poland achieves recognition as the Leader of Polish Export. The Ministry of Economy honours the Company with two awards - "Polish Fame" and "Export Eagle".
During one of the largest and most important events in the world of numismatics, at the Fair in Berlin, the Mint of Poland presents the world's first cylinder coin "FORTUNA REDUX".
The first joint charity campaign of the Mint of Poland and the TVN Foundation "Nie jesteś sam” (literally: “You Are Not Alone"), aimed to raise money to cover the costs of treatment of the patients of the Foundation. The campaign involves the sales of "Good Ducats" in all service outlets that have joined the initiative. The total amount collected during this five-month campaign is 1,219,434.25 zlotys.
The production of medals for the IAAF World Indoor Championships in Athletics held in Sopot.
Two awards for the coins minted by the Mint of Poland during the 28th Mint Directors Conference in Mexico: the first prize in the "Most technologically advanced silver coin in the world" category – the "Year of the Horse" coin from the "Chinese Calendar" collection with its face value of 20 roubles, and the first prize in the "Most technologically advanced coin in the world" category -"Fortuna Redux" with its face value of 50 dollars.
The construction of a prestigious office and commercial complex, "Mennica Legacy Tower", at ul. Pereca 21 in Warsaw.
The production of medals for “Ludzie Wolności” (literally: "People of Freedom") ceremony organized by TVN, a Polish commercial television network, and Gazeta Wyborcza, a Polish newspaper, given to honor famous Poles who have become the ambassadors of freedom, development and democracy in the last twenty-five years.